Introduction (Why This Series?)
Welcome to Day 1 of my CCNA Challenge Series.
If you are reading this, you are probably one of three people:
You are preparing for CCNA and feel overwhelmed by the syllabus.
You have already failed the exam and feel like giving up.
You are curious about what it really takes to pass this certification.
Let me be honest with you: I failed my CCNA on my very first attempt.
Yes, you read that right. I studied for 4 months. I watched hours of YouTube videos. I spent money on practice tests. And still, on exam day, I saw that dreaded white screen with the words: "Sorry, you did not pass."
It felt like a punch in the gut. I questioned my intelligence. I thought about quitting networking forever. I even deleted all my study notes.=
But here I am today. I want to tell you exactly what went wrong and how I fixed it.
This is not a "motivational" post. This is a practical breakdown of my failure and the exact roadmap I followed to pass on my second attempt.
Over the next 30 days, I will guide you through every single topic you need to master.
So, if you have ever felt like a failure because of this exam, stay with me. Your story does not end here.
If you're new to networking, read our beginner's guide first."
..........https://techbyrathore.blogspot.com/2025/02/basic-networking-guide-for-beginners.html
Why Did I Fail?
Let me save you the trouble. I did not fail because CCNA is "too hard." I failed because I made 5 critical mistakes.
And I guarantee you, most of you are making these mistakes too.
1. I Focused on Theory, Not Practicals
I watched videos and read books like a novel. I could explain OSPF, STP, and VLANs in my sleep. But when I sat in front of the exam simulator, I froze.
CCNA is not a theoretical exam. It is a practical exam. Cisco does not care if you can define a protocol. They care if you can configure it, troubleshoot it, and fix it in a simulated environment.
My Mistake: I spent 70% of my time on theory and only 30% on labs.
2. I Used Too Many Resources
I had 5 different video courses, 3 books, and 2 practice test platforms. Sounds like a good strategy, right? Wrong.
Information overload killed me. I was watching Jeremy's IT Lab, then switching to Neil Anderson, then reading the OCG, then taking Boson exams. Every resource had a slightly different approach. I ended up confused rather than confident.
My Mistake: I was a "resource collector," not a "student."
3. I Ignored the Exam Blueprint
Cisco publishes a detailed exam blueprint with topics and weightage. I never looked at it. I studied random topics based on what YouTube videos were popular that week.
Guess what happened? I spent 2 weeks mastering EIGRP (which had low weightage) and barely touched Automation and Programmability (which had high weightage).
My Mistake: I studied what I liked, not what the exam required.
4. I Never Simulated the Real Exam Environment
I practiced in a relaxed environment with music, snacks, and my phone nearby. On exam day, I was in a silent room, under time pressure, with a proctor watching me. My brain panicked.
My Mistake: I never trained under real exam conditions.
5. I Had No Accountability
I studied alone. No study group. No mentor. No one to ask, "Am I ready?" I convinced myself I was prepared because I had "finished the syllabus." But finishing is not the same as mastering.
How You Can Pass CCNA (What I Did Differently)
After failing, I took a week off to cry, eat junk food, and feel sorry for myself. Then, I got angry. Not at Cisco at myself. I decided to completely change my strategy.
Here is exactly what you should do based on what worked for me:
Need more help? Check out our network security guide.
..............https://techbyrathore.blogspot.com/2025/07/network-security-daily-routine-pro.html
1. Reverse the Ratio: 70% Labs, 30% Theory
You should buy Cisco Packet Tracer and GNS3 and start doing labs every single day. Don't just "read" about OSPF. Configure it from scratch, break it, and fix it.
My Rule: If you cannot configure it in a lab, you haven't learned it.
2. Pick ONE Resource and Stick to It
Choose Jeremy's IT Lab (free on YouTube) as your primary source. Watch one video per day, take handwritten notes, and complete his lab after every video. Stop jumping between resources.
3. Print the Exam Blueprint and Check Every Topic
Download the official CCNA exam topics from Cisco's website. Print it out and put it on your wall. Every day, mark off topics you have mastered. This will keep you focused on high-weightage areas.
4. Start Taking Timed Practice Exams
Take Boson ExSim practice exams in strict exam mode no pauses, no music, no distractions. Review every wrong answer in detail.
Pro Tip: Reviewing why you got a question wrong is more important than taking the test itself.
5. Join a Study Community
Join the r/CCNA subreddit and Discord groups. Ask questions, answer others' questions, and share your progress. This will keep you motivated and accountable.
What to Expect from This Series
Over the next 29 days, I will post one blog every day covering every critical topic you need to pass CCNA.
| ... |
Final Day: Full Exam Strategy and Mindset Tips for Pass Guarantee.
Your Action Step for Today (Don't Skip This!)
You have read my story. Now it is your turn to take action.
Here is what I want you to do right now:
Comment below with one word: "FAILED" or "PREPARING" so I know where you stand.
Write down on a piece of paper: "I will not quit. I will pass CCNA." Stick it on your wall.
Share this post with one friend who is also preparing for CCNA. Accountability matters.
Final Words
Failing CCNA is not the end of your career. It is just a speed bump, not a roadblock. The only real failure is giving up.
I went from crying in my room to becoming a certified network engineer. If I can do it, so can you.
This 30-day series is my gift to you everything I wish I had known on my first attempt. Do not waste it.
Tomorrow: We will start with Day 2: (and I promise, it will be the simplest explanation you have ever read).
See you tomorrow. And remember: Your comeback is always stronger than your setback.
P.S. If you are reading this on Day 1, congratulations you have already taken the first step. The rest is just showing up. I will see you here tomorrow.
Day 2 is live! Check it out: OSI Model Explained Stop Memorizing, Start Understanding
.......OSI Model explained
Missed Day 3 latest post of CCNA challenge series? VLAN vs Subnet
Day 5 of CCNA series: Wild Card Mask — A Practical CCNA Guide
Next Part of this series A Practical CCNA Guide IPv6 Addressing for Beginners


0 Comments